DUTIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Elections Office is responsible for coordinating and administering all elections and maintaining all voter registration information within the county.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Securing polling place locations
- Recruiting, hiring and training of election board workers
- Issuing, accepting and maintaining candidate, initiative, referendum and recall filings, petitions and campaign committee financial reports
- Provides for printing of all election related material
- Establishes election precinct boundaries
- Secures use of facilities for Election Day
- Prepares, allocates and transports election materials to and from polling places
- Provides vote tabulation and official results for canvassing
- Update, maintain and correct the SURE voter registration database
There are 184 voting precincts in Washington County, each one with its own elections board, chosen by the electors of the precinct every four years during the general municipal election. These boards consist of a Judge of Elections and Two Inspectors of Elections. Additionally, the Inspectors are each able to appoint a clerk. This department serves as the central coordinating body for all 184 precincts, responsible to train local election boards in how to conduct elections, securing and coordinating polling places, ensuring delivery of all equipment to the polls, and serving as an information resource for the local boards on election day as issues arise.
ADMINISTERING ELECTIONS INFORMATIONCLICK HERE